The global testing market is expected to grow between 7–12% CAGR between 2021 and 2025. Even so, one in four companies looking to automate their testing process has trouble finding the right tools. This may be due to a failure in recognizing the exact automation requirements, or a lack of knowledge about the existing platforms in the market. This guide shares a list of factors to look at when choosing an automation testing tool and talks about 7 renowned platforms businesses can consider.
How to choose the right automation testing tool?
It’s important to note that the automation testing tools in this blog are not ranked based on quality.
Each tool comes with a unique set of features and must be chosen based on your organization’s requirements-
- The type of tests that need to be automated.
- Programming language.
- The software development platform.
- If the end-users know how to code.
- Integration with CI/CD pipelines or toolchains.
- The company’s budget.
- Availability of technical support.
- Built-in reporting mechanism.
Precisely defining these factors and knowing which ones you can compromise on (e.g., budget/reporting mechanism), will make it easier to choose from this list of top 7 automation testing tools.
Top 7 automation testing tools
Launched in 2004, Selenium is an open-source framework for web testing automation. It comprises three projects – Selenium WebDriver drives a web browser natively, as a user would; Selenium IDE is a Chrome, Firefox, and Edge extension that makes it easy to record and playback tests; and Selenium Grid provides parallel testing support.
- It’s open-source.
- Supports various operating systems – Windows, macOS, Linux, and Solaris.
- Supports various browsers – Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Provides parallel testing support.
- Limited to web-based applications.
- Setting it up and configuring it requires coding knowledge.
- Does not offer advanced test reporting.
- No integration capabilities for test management.
- Lack of dedicated technical support.
Cypress is an end-to-end testing framework used by front-end developers and QA engineers. The Cypress App allows testers to write tests locally, whereas the Cypress Cloud debugs tests in CI. It provides built-in parallelization and load balancing and allows engineers to record test results.
- Cypress is developer-friendly.
- It’s an open-source framework.
- It reloads in real time as you build the application.
- Control over the behavior of functions, server responses, or timers.
- Easy integration with popular CI/CD tools.
- Limited to web applications.
- Has a learning curve.
- Only works on Chrome and Chromium-based browsers.
- Limited support for iFrames.
Appium is an open-source framework used for the automated testing of native, hybrid, and mobile web applications. It has an easy set-up process and can automate any mobile application from any language and framework.
- Works on several different devices – macOS, Windows, Linux.
- It’s open-source.
- Does not require including an SDK or recompiling the app.
- Allows parallel execution of test scripts.
- Requires knowledge of coding.
- No test reporting analytics.
- Initial deployment can be challenging.
TestComplete automates UI testing for desktop, mobile, and web applications. It has an AI-powered object recognition engine and script and offers support for over 500 controls for easy, robust, and scalable testing.
- It can be used to test mobile, desktop, and web applications.
- Easy to set up and configure.
- Does not necessarily require prior coding knowledge.
- Offers a variety of integrations.
- Has a paid subscription only.
- Has issues with name mapping.
Katalon is an AI-augmented platform that allows users to plan, write, and execute automated tests. The tool can be used for web, desktop, API, mobile, and visual testing. It is centralized, with low-code ease and full-code flexibility, and offers real-time visibility to testers.
- It offers flexible automation support for projects and teams of any size.
- Katalon supports a variety of testing methodologies – BDD, DDT, Keyword-Driven Testing, Cross-Browser Testing, and Cross-Platform Mobile Testing.
- Integrates with popular CI/CD and ALM tools.
- Has smart debugging UI and test reporting features.
- Fast and easy test creation (does not require prior coding knowledge).
- Limited scripting language support.
- Performance issues.
- Only offers a basic testing suite for free.
testRigor allows QA testers to create end-to-end automated tests using plain English commands. The tool is easy to use, and it saves test teams weeks’ worth of time, allowing them to focus on more meaningful tasks rather than maintaining automated scripts.
- It can be used for desktop, mobile, web, and API testing.
- Fast test creation and execution.
- Seamlessly integrates with CI/CD pipelines.
- Requires less maintenance.
- Has cross-platform and cross-browser capabilities and supports over 2000 client-browser combos.
- Game testing is not supported.
- A few of its competitors provide live help and a customer success manager at medium-tier pricing.
Ranorex automates GUI testing for desktop, mobile, and web applications through easy-to-use low-code/no-code tools and a full IDE. Used by 4000 businesses worldwide, the tool is easy to use for beginners and provides easy recording and playback of tests.
- Does not require prior coding knowledge.
- Provides advanced functionality for machine-trained object detection, test healing, video reporting of test execution, PDF validation, and more.
- Customizable test result reporting.
- Easy to integrate with existing CI/CD processes.
- Excellent customer support.
- Lacks language support (supports C# or VB.net).
- Only has a paid subscription.
Access testing functions that are ready to be deployed immediately
Nearly all businesses are looking for applications that are reliable, and easy-to-use and integrate.
At Victrix Systems, we bring you testing as a Managed Service, giving you access to fully-formed testing functions that are ready to be deployed immediately. Our experts work with your key stakeholders to scope out the work, the timelines, resources, and challenges, and create customized testing solutions that fulfill your exact business requirements.
Drop a message here to learn more about our automation testing services.
Leave A Comment